Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Above is the painting " Addison EL " 48" x 48" acrylic on canvas
This painting is currently at the Peoria Airport- Artport Gallery
Sitting in the Rain

As I sit under the tarp at the back of my booth, I can hear the potter in the next space exchange greetings with his frequent clients. ( It seams that potters have quite a faithful following ) I pick up an article that a fellow artist had given me that she had carefully cut out and saved in a plastic sleeve. ( Lucky thing today ) I took out the folded USA Today paper and began to read about an artist in New York .
This artist also painted large scale paintings that he typically sold at galleries, this can be a spotty existence, hence the term "starving artist". He came up with the idea of painting 100 small original paintings and inviting all his mailing list to the unveiling and to sell them for 100 dollars each. He did it, sold them all, not bad 10,000 dollars, catch up on the rent, buy some more supplies, and maybe have enough left over for some groceries. Then the article got interesting.
After this first windfall, he decided that he would try to do a painting a day, for a hundred days.
He would paint little 3"X 5" card stock paintings of things he would see during his wanderings in the city. After they were finished, he would post them on his blog site with a link to an e-bay auction for the painting, starting price 100 dollars. The " painting a day " blog was born and it started to take off, his paintings rarely go for the starting bid, his paintings average 250 dollars.
This is intriguing to me how can I use this for my work. It takes me approximately 70 hours of work to finish my large panels ( 24" x 60") , how could I fit " a painting a day" into my already busy schedule. The good part for me is I have a day job, painting has always been a "hobby" something I do in the evenings and on weekends. As I start looking at the temporary status of our human existence ( I am 49 ), I look to art and my paintings as a more permanent legacy of my existence, and as possible income during retirement. How could I possibly find the time to finish " a painting a day" ?

1 Comments:

Blogger CharlieGirl said...

While I am extremely proud of your art and in my mind there is no one more talented than you...your legacy will live on in so much more than your art.

Thursday, 31 August, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Web Counter