Friday, September 01, 2006

Are They Nuts

How is it possible to live life and still be under some type of ridged painting schedule. I find it hard to find time in the day to type these messages, much less force out a painting. Somehow last night I managed to stretch four canvases for myself and one for my daughter Chelsea( She wants explore her artist side- so I stretched a 14' x 24" for her) . It was all I could do to get these five done in the evening. I do stretch all my own canvases, this gives me greater flexibility with size and I have sort of perfected my process in recent years. I start with 1/4" paneling cut to the size of the piece, then I miter and attach 1 x 2 sides flush with the edges with an air nailer. After a light sanding the boards are gessoed and covered with wet cotton interlining ( I love this fabric - when it is done it give me the texture of a good watercolor paper ) Then the fabric is stretched and stapled to the back of the edge pieces giving me smooth paintable sides ( so my paintings wrap around and appear to come out of the wall- and the don't need frames) Trim excess fabric off back and rub front of canvas with trimmings to push fabric securely into gesso. Finish with another good coat of gesso on front and sides of canvas, and let dry.

There , so how am I supposed to go through all that for a painting and put some thought and effort into what goes on top of it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


Web Counter