Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Letterman

The Womans birthday is coming up - it's not just any birthday - it's a sort of milestone one . She really doesn't want to make a big deal about it - just wanted to be away with her kids and not be hassled by people making a bigger deal of it than it already is.

So what do we do - we plan a trip to New York. Why not the kids haven't been there - The Woman would just be another face in the crowd. We could ride in a carriage in Central Park just see the sites.

So doing due diligence to the itinerary of the trip - I have sought out tickets for various events, some for art - Tour of the new Yankee Stadium - some for fun.

One of the many fun things to do is to see a show - none of which would be cooler to see than the king of late night David Letterman. I went to the web site only to find that the tickets can't be bought - they must be earned. You can hang out before the show and if your interesting enough ( I would suppose this is the procedure - it seems better than throwing lawn jarts ) get selected to attend - or you can put your name on a list to win them - only one catch - you must answer the trivia question correctly.

A few months ago I dutifully put my name on the list.

Yesterday I received a call from a gentleman - lets call him Bill - "Hello I'm with the David Letterman show and did you sign up to win tickets to an upcoming show" - Yes I did , was my response . " Do you have a pen and paper - I am going to give you a number to call to take the trivia challenge - and good luck"

I called the number only to get a voice mail message - Hi this is ______ please leave your name - dates your calling about - and phone number - only leave one message - repeat - only leave one message" So I did just as instructed .

I must be honest I was a little nervous - I watch the Late Show - since the NBC thing when they brought in Leno instead of Dave - I've even been a bigger fan. But this is trivia - what questions could they come up with and how difficult could this be.

I turned to the web - before ________ called me back I was going to immerse myself in everything Letterman. There is a huge amount of information about Mr Letterman on the web - way too much to take in in the short time I had - I was cramming - like for a final that I had to ace.

_________ calls and we start talking - She asks me questions about my trip - just getting to know me a bit. Then after a minute or so on the phone I get the question - .......

I have , since the excitement has subsided , realized that the whole process is a vetting system. If your giving tickets away you want reasonable cool people in the audience . Just like if I was standing outside waiting to see if I could enter - The whole phone test was to see if you were worthy of admission. The question could be hedged to weed out undesirables.

That is why I was surprised that my question was what it was - "What was Dave's High School locker combination "

Little did they know that I had contacted Broad Ripple High and it was ** - %$ - @*

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


Web Counter