Wednesday, November 01, 2006

What a week

Since my last blog I have been somewhat productive ( I hate the word busy) . I have managed to finish the painting for the Lakeview Museum and mount it to the construction fence at the site. Although it needs some tweeking, little things like a frame and to paint the background a solid color that is not white, but it looks pretty good. Managed to stretch two large canvases for two ballpark paintings, US Cellular the White Sox ballpark and New Busch the world champion St. Louis Cardinal ballpark. These will take some time to finish so don't expect images too soon.
My employer Mitchell Favus turn 60 years old so we had a meeting of the minds here at work to determine what gift we would give to someone who can quite literally get anything that he would want. One of the ideas was to create a drawing featuring all the people that are employed at the big Mitchell Fabrics, which at first I was opposed to. But after some thought and one of the Vice Presidents suggestion that I think like a "Mad Magazine" parody, I settled on an idea. We could take famous paintings and recreate them with the different departments featured in each, this made it somewhat interesting and something that I thought was do-able.
We searched for paintings that would give the needed number of subjects for the departments ( we have 30 employees in four departments) . We settled for Renoir's - Dejeuners-canotiers for the office staff, Washington Crossing the Delaware for the warehouse staff, The Dutch Masters for the vertical blind department, and American Gothic for drapery hardware king and his wife who is a vice - president. Even with a plan I still needed to carry it out so armed with computer printouts of the originals and small photos of the employees, I set out to finish this in the two days I had before the birthday. Using pen and ink and colored pencils I managed to meet the deadline and hit a home run. Linda Wilmot would be proud of me, although the are not up to her level of expertise, they turned out quite good. After quickly matting and framing them they were presented yesterday and are hanging majestically in his office.
All of this took place in week that I actually had to apply myself at work( most of the time I am pretty spoiled here I am privileged to have a job that usually give me great freedom to do what I want do). But because of a remodeling effort in our shipping department and a vacation of our dock manager, I have had to really work at work. But with all things, the shipping department is finished and the vacation is over. So I think I will relax today so I can put in a full evening on painting, man it is good to be me..... well most of the time.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

man it is good to be me too!
I love that you are so happy!

Thursday, 02 November, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Web Counter