Monday, November 22, 2010

Cape Girardeau

I spent the last weekend at the Southern Missouri Arts Council's Holiday Art & Craft Show. Let me tell you - It was a Craft Show . That said, it was well attended, indoors, only about 4 and a half hours from Peoria, and I met other artists that were also there.

Now don't take this the wrong way - there were only a few "real artists" there - I'm not saying that the crafters aren't clever or creative in the way that they hot glue or sew or assemble beads/stencil letters/cut out wood/ or whatever little niche that they have going. I'm just saying that 'real artists' know that we are slumming.

After the opening bell rush ( In which several hundred people were lined up to be the first to get to their favorite vendors before the selection of new snowman creations were sold out) the crowds were very steady - and the people were buying - even though I had a very limited selection of paintings of local interest.

I think the key to selling at an event of this type ( I'm not being derogatory - I am planning on going back next year) is to have items at a low price point. If your prints are too high - they are not going to buy. They are though thinking about gifts - and that is a good thing!

So after all that I give the Holiday Show in Cape Girardeau and three out of five stars. On the extreme range of what I would want to drive home on Sunday evening - but very nice venue ( Show Me Center - on campus of Southeast Missouri State ), well run show -nice artist break room, and I got to see old friends that came up from Memphis. (Thanks - Wayne and Lori for a wonderful evening - next year I will upgrade to the suite so you can stay the night and leave on Sunday)

But most of all I got to hang out with my wonderful assistant!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


Web Counter