Tuesday, March 11, 2008

It’s Crunch Time

The deadline for many of the summer shows is fastly approaching, last night I when to a fellow artists studio to photograph her work and to help set up the online portfolio that is required for the Junction City Show. Many of the artists that I have talked to are a little confused at first, but I am sure this is a good thing and the way of the future.

I myself am glad to get away totally from slides. This was a difficult, and unforgiving way to have to submit your images. If you didn’t have the benefit of a projector you were forced to view your slides over a lighted table or hold them up to a light source. Either way you were looking at a shrunken image and not what the “jury” would see –YOU HOPE!!

My mind goes back to a committee that I was on for a local show and at ever meeting the envelopes would go around the table and members would take out the slides, still in the sleeves, and hold them up to the window. Then would mark yes or no on the outside of the envelope. There was no way to tell exactly what we were seeing. You only hope that other shows have a better process.

This year the Peoria Art Guild is finally going digital with the online application. They are also inviting members and artists to view the process of the jury. I was quick to send my RSVP, as many of the local artist vent to me directly after the notification letters are sent out. It will be priceless to hear the comments and critiques of the judges during the process. Even if I don’t make the cut, to know the areas that need to be improved will be mind opening.

I am not happy with the last two diners and am rethinking which paintings I should submit to the Fine Art Fair. I think that I will just submit what I think to be the best four and not worry too much about a themed submission.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


Web Counter