Friday, November 13, 2009

Playing in Peoria

I have been wrestling with lots of different ideas that keep popping in my oversized head. Some of them involve paintings of varied styles. Some are of the display system that I would like to come out with for artists at outdoor shows. What am I going to do for a lawn decoration for the Christmas season - Leg Lamp or something else? Then there is the random weird thoughts that pop in my head - like the one yesterday.

The problem is the way I see it - that the Peoria art community is very fragmented - each with their own agenda / mission statement / client base -- whatever! We are all trying to shoot fish in the same barrel. So with a limited "base/barrel" we need to expand our reach. The problem with this is the cost of advertising is astronomical, and even if you had unlimited resources ( which none of the art organizations possess) you still are not going to reach the masses.

The secondary problem is the way that art is perceived by the masses - It has an elitist air. That art is for rich educated snobs - that hang out at galleries and drink with their pinkies sticking out. We need to bring it back to the early 70's - Art is for everyone . Picasso said every child is an artist. It is sad that people have lost that joy of creating something with their own hands.

The music industry has perfected the mass appeal part of the art realm - the masses flock to concerts ( and pay huge ticket prices) to be entertained for a few hours. So why wouldn't they spend a part of their money for a piece of art to look at in their homes - something to entertain them for a lifetime?

Which brings me to the title of this entry - Playing in Peoria - I took a gamble and purchased the domain name. We will see what become of it - tonight I'll be attending an opening with some of my art friends and may share some of whats been bouncing around in my dome. We'll see if they are at all interested - or have any more useful ideas that we could incorporate under this banner.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


Web Counter