Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Just when you think you have it figured out!

Early in the season I had a string of really bad shows - I mean the kind that you lose money at ! It is not fun but it is part of the art biz. Like my friend Linda Wilmot says "sometimes you harvest and sometimes you plant the seed" she always puts such a nice spin on the fact that people thought that I was invisible and that I didn't even recoup gas money to some of the shows, much less booth fees and lodging.

Well once the summer shows started people seemed to all of a sudden see my booth - it must have had a cloaking device attached to it somewhere - and I started selling some stuff. The new shaped canvases seemed to be a hit - I might have them priced too low - but I would rather sell them than not - so we'll keep them priced as they are. Then just as I think everything is going really smoothly and I have all the answers to what people at art shows are looking for - Edwards Place!!

Granted it was my first year at the show - so maybe people don't take you seriously for a while - but I could feel the cloaking device kicking in as the few people there walked by my empty booth.

The load in and out was difficult ( limited access to center grass area and your not allowed to drive in) my cart doesn't roll well on moist earth. Yes - the weather wasn't great either - as it rained and was overcast both days. There was also a noticeable absence of large crowds ( could be due to the weather ) and the total number of artists at the show was also down from previous years ( so I was told by other regulars)

Well at least I will have plenty of stock for the Peoria Riverfront Show this weekend!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


Web Counter