Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Happy Halloween !!!
Don't know if I have any really scary images for the holiday, the most appropriate would probably be " Gargoyle" . This was one of the "painting a day" drill that I go through in between the large canvases. A ballpark can be draining, I want to paint but the detailed work that is involved with a ballpark can be boring. So I have found that it is always good to paint a few small fun pieces between the big ones. These paintings are 8" x 24" and sell at shows for 200.00 . It gives the freedom to experiment with varied subjects that I would not normally paint.
At a recent show I took one of these paintings of an elderly gent, sitting on a bench. I did not know the name of the man so I titled the painting "Chilli Man " after the town Chillicothe that the photo was taken. I put a note on the description that if he came by I would let him have it for a special price. Somehow at the gallery opening one of his son's had been notified of the painting, and was there to see me. He told me that the painting was of his father who had since been moved to nursing facility outside town, he wanted to know if the painting was for sale. So since his father could not be there in person I gave it to him at the special price, free. After the show was finished we met at the nursing home and presented it his dad, the next week I received a call from him that his father had passed away. Mr Dell was 96 almost 97, now his son has something to immortalize his father, sometimes it is really cool to be an artist.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


Web Counter