Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Top Secret

Recently I was reading the local newspaper and came across an article about a local company (not at liberty to mention name) that is celebrating it's 100th anniversary. On the back page of the article I noticed the old photo of the company was provided by that companies archive department.

I also received an invitation to enter the Peoria Historical Society Show this April a few days previous to this, so I was already thinking of what I would enter. Being the Art Ho that I am - I should do something pertaining to this milestone. The only problem is that you can't just use images in the paper for paintings and you need very detailed photos to blow them up to the size I paint.

So I sent an e-mail to the company and to my surprise they sent one back - It gave me a link to follow and fill out detailed reasons for my request to see and or use their corporate archives. After several days I was told that they were giving it to legal to look over.

Then I get a phone call.... This is the archives and when can you come in. I was in shock because as I have found out since being there I'm one of the few outsiders ever to be in the bunker. Yes it is a bunker - 12" reinforced concrete, wrapped in a rubber membrane to keep out water, climate controlled (60 degrees and 40% humidity), separate gas fire suppression system bunker. I was allowed to see and examine photos that are over a hundred years old and received permission from the corporation to use them for a painting. I only hope that I can meet expectations .. but I almost always do.

After the painting is finished part of my deal is to return the images and to destroy any copies that I have on my computer. A small price to pay for maybe a future painting .. I'm already thinking of the workers on the balcony image......maybe next year.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


Web Counter