Thursday, April 22, 2010

Art Fair Insiders

One day I saw a link on Facebook to a site for artists - www.artfairinsiders.com The site is similar to Facebook with some exceptions . Everything that you post isn't seen by all your contacts ( with some of the posts that I've seen on Facebook this is a good thing) The other is that you are encouraged to join groups and discussions that are going on on the site that are pertaining to the business of selling art - specifically at art fairs.

I joined and have since been expanding the "friend" base as that is your net that you cast the wider or larger the network of friends the more information that is available.

I got a random e-mail about a show that I had never heard of around St Louis in October - Close enough - nothing else going on - ouch - they want 300.00 to do the show - do I take a chance?

I went to the site and asked the artists if they had any information to help with the decision.
I got some responses - some for - some against- the one that help the most was an artist that told me they charge admission and the crowds were light - I have found that admission is a detriment to my sales - I know the logic it keeps out the "tire kickers" the lookers - the non serious art buyers - Well I myself like those types and sell enough of they that I want them there. So I saved my entry fee and will be at home in October - I may drive down to check out the show for next year.

I encourage everyone to sign up for this site and get connected with other artist through out the country - They really are the coolest people around!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Connie Mettler said...

I'd say you amazing good taste joining us at ArtFairInsiders.com, Tom. Thanks for your kind words and thanks for becoming a part of our online community.

Thursday, 22 April, 2010  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Web Counter