Sunday, April 13, 2008

Fine Art Fair Jury





Saturday was the Fine Art Fair jury for the Peoria Art Guild Riverfront Show in September. Some 525 artists from all over the world have submitted for the show. There are only 133 open spots so the competition is intense. I don't know if I'm in but I like my chances as the applications are down this year. Usually there is over 700 applicants, so instead of 20% getting in the top 25% get in. Also one of the jurors, the patron, has been renting my paintings for his office for the past six months. So maybe he likes my style.
The other jurors were four past award winners and two professors of art all had MFA's. So not only were the artists applying of the highest caliber but the judges were also.
Now all this said, that doesn't mean that there is still going to be some manipulation of the raw scores. There were 97 jewelry, 70 photography, and 68 ceramics: so lets say that 50 jewelers finish with excellent ratings. A final committee has to balance the show with a appropriate number allocated to each medium.
What that all boils down to for myself is that 20 to 25 spots will be filled with painting (the category had 58 applicants) so my chances are like 50/50. Wish me luck, I'll let you know how it all works out.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


Web Counter